Bulgur & Black Bean Salad
makes 4 servings
1 orange (or lemon), grated rind and juice (grate rind first,
THEN juice it!)
1 cup uncooked bulgur*
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly (15-16 oz
1 red bell pepper, chopped in small pieces
6 stalks green onions, chopped in small pieces (green & white
4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons vinegar
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1. Put 1 cup bulgur and 2 cups water in covered sauce pan. Bring to boil then simmer 12-15 minutes until excess liquid is absorbed.
2. Scrub orange, then grate the rind off.
3. Cut orange in half and squeeze juice into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add orange rind, vinegar, oil and cumin to the orange juice in the bowl.
5. Chop all the vegetables while the bulgur is cooking.
6. Throw vegetables and rinsed beans in the bowl and mix. Add cooked bulgur and mix again.
* May use cooked bulgur or brown rice, leftover from last night’s